Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Rough Start

Going back to work is definitely hard. I obviously miss being with Owen, but this year is much more difficult than the previous years . Let me start by saying that I am almost always stress free and positive. I have always been the teacher that loves the job and makes excuses for the endless amounts of work thrown our way. I always try to cheer others up when they are feeling down and not enjoying the job the way they could.


This school year has already tested me in more ways than I thought possible. We started out the school year with our entire team of five teachers in third grade. A week into school, it was decided to move a teacher to first grade and close the class. I've never experienced anything quite like this. I felt horrible for the students and parents that were directly effected by the move. My team stuck together and tried to make the transition as smooth as possible. Luckily,I recieved 5 wonderful students from the change.


The late classroom close has definitely thrown everyone for a loop. We are now adjusting to life without one of our team members. We were a well oiled machine and a true definition of what it means to be a team. Loosing a member means more work and way less free minutes in the day. Some days we do not have a break until lunchtime at 12:30.


With time being of the essence and a classroom with extremely high needs, I know that I have to figure out how to manage things better. It is a hard adjustment for me. I'm used to giving my job a 150%. I now have all the work responsibilities, less time, more students, and a baby, Husband and house to take care of. I didn't think the pressure could break me, but last week was extremely difficult. For the first time, I found myself questioning my career choice. On Friday, I was so overwhelmed that I came home and stayed in a hot bath crying for 30 minutes. Honestly, it felt wonderful to release some of the stress and pressure.

It was truly an ugly place to be in, and I am not interested in revisiting it again. I am realizing that there are only so many minutes in the day and one of me. I can only do so much and some things will just have to wait because it isn't fair to my family if I spend endless hours working each night. I'm learning an important life lesson, I can still be a great teacher and put things on the back burner.



I know that this blog sounds sad and awful, but it really isn't. I do feel like this year will be a huge challenge, but now I am starting to see that it will get better. Even when things are bad, I ultimately love teaching. There is no better feeling than watching a child's light bulb come on because of something you said or did. I love igniting children with the spark that can only come out when a child sees that learning can be fun and enjoyable. I love spending time with my students and building strong, solid relationships with them. Ultimately that is what my job is all about and I can definitely handle that!


___________________________________________
On to the important stuff, baby talk! My baby boy is getting so big! He is now 21 weeks old. I am happy to say that he is starting to eat more. He usually averaged 20oz per day and now he is up to 24. It seems like whatever he eats is enough because he definitely has some adorable "baby muscles". By no means does he look like he is hurting for food. :) He is growing up so fast and he has quite the personality. A few days ago he grabbed my face with both hands and smothered me in wide open mouth baby kisses. It was truly the most precious thing ever! He also took a bath in the big tub for the first time! We are all so excited that Daddy is almost done with the bathroom and now Owen can always take baths in the big tub! :)


This wouldn't be my blog if I didn't include updated pictures.





1 comment:

  1. Aw, hang in there! Hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete